Are You Being Clear?
Are you clear about what it is that you offer? Can people tell in an instant that you are a family photographer, a published author, a home organizer, or a life coach? If you’re wondering why people aren’t pounding down your door to get you to work with them, it may be because they don’t have the first clue what you do.
For example – when I was coming up with my logo a few years ago, I knew I wanted to advertise that I was a writer and editor. However, my designer suggested that the logo would look better with either one or three words, so I tacked on “consultant”, which is a very general term these days. I personally consult on social media best practices and marketing tactics, but you wouldn’t know that unless I told you (which I just did).
If you’re not clearly communicating your message and branding, then you run the danger of being that friend or colleague who people say, “Oh, yeah, Jim… he does, uh… it’s something with…well, I’m not really sure, but he works from home.” If your friends and family can’t give an elevator pitch about what you do, then you’re missing the mark in your marketing efforts.
So, is your pitching is on point?
- Can YOU give a 30 second summary of what you do? If you can’t, no one else can either.
- Is your message clear on your social accounts? I sell… I offer… I can… I do… I will…
- Do people know where to find you? Website URL, email address, cell number – give them something!
- Is anyone sharing your content? If they aren’t, it’s time to shake things up.
- What are you highlighting in your online bio? Skip the animal shelter volunteering, include a client endorsement.
It’s never too late to start making changes. Maybe your tone of voice hasn’t resonated with your audience – try something new! When you meet a potential client, perhaps you’ve been too vague about what you do – practice your pitch on those who know you best. Try a new social media platform (if your audience is on Instagram, get off of LinkedIn), and don’t be afraid to ask for help. I happen to know a consultant…